.dae format import and update / Freecad BIM workflow

• Hello,

I'm trying to setup a workflow using Freecad with the BIM workbench along with Eyecad VR.

I'm modeling my building with the Freecad 's BIM workshop and I'm exporting the various components using the DAE format.

Importing them to Eyecad VR is quite successful, each component is a different node of the same object, which is what I wanted.

But when I'm trying the 'object update' feature, just after having changed a wall dimension, for example, every material and UV mapping I did on the node disappear.

I expected the 'update feature' to keep at least the UV mapping and the materials for each existing node, but it doesn't.

So... what's the purpose and aim of the 'object update' feature vs delete/reimport ?

And what can I do to setup such workflow that would allow me to adjust an component dimension and be able to update in in Eyecad VR without having to remap and reskin everything each time I do an update ?

Perhaps I could use another format than .dae ? Freecad can export to many formats...

And finally... could we imagine having someday a Freecad plugin ?

Having such plugin would be nice, or at least give the opportunity to Freecad power users and devs to develop such plugin for Eyecad VR would be awesome !

Thanks for your help !

Nicolas.

• Hello Nicolas,

First of all welcome to the EVR Forum!

About the "update 3D model" i can highly suggest to try to work with .FBX format. It should be better. Please let us know if it works better with your Freecad model.

About the freecad plugin it is not on our roadmap for the moment but we can evaluate it in the future.

Best,

S.B.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!